Discover fabulous caviar food pairings and caviar serving suggestions for the holidays
Food pairing is the method of combining different foods so that they brilliantly bring out the richest, most enjoyable tastes in each. Caviar is a taste treat on its own, delicately flavored with a hint of seaweed and a tantalizing texture that is unlike any other gourmet offering. When paired with the right food and wine choices, caviar becomes simply exquisite while elevating the taste of even the most humble accompaniments. At its best, a caviar food pairing will showcase the eggs’ distinctive flavor while adding just the right note of contrast to create a harmonious whole.
Some of the best caviar pairings are those that merely present the eggs with a simple addition of one or two ingredients to provide a base. A perfect example is Quail eggs and caviar on a slice of toasted baguette. Blinis with Caviar and Crème Fraiche is another classic caviar pairing that never goes out of style. Martha Stewart’s Toasted Brioche Rounds with Crème Fraiche and Caviar is a delicious update of the traditional pairing of caviar, toast points, and crème fraiche. Buttery brioche rounds add an extra flavor note that blends perfectly with black Hackleback Sturgeon caviar.
An easy, always impressive caviar serving suggestion that is certain to please is the traditional “Caviar Bar”. Start with an elegant presentation of caviar in a crystal or porcelain server chilled on a bed of ice, mother of pearl spoons ready to serve guests. Surround with traditional pairing offerings of blinis, bulgur wheat pancakes, toast points, and crème fraiche. Finish with a generous selection of tasty gourmet garnishes such as chopped eggs, minced onions, chives, and cucumber slices.
Once you discover what food goes well with caviar, you can have fun preparing the combinations according to different cuisine styles. Smoked salmon with caviar is a classic caviar food pairing that is decadently delicious and can be prepared a number of different ways. Smoked salmon and caviar sushi rolls are a superb variation that can easily be incorporated into your regular meal plan for a gourmet touch.
No discussion of the caviar pairing of smoked salmon and caviar would be complete without mentioning Wolfgang Puck’s iconic Pizza with smoked salmon and caviar. This daring gourmet creation is one of the all-time best caviar pairings as it so delighted all who tried it that it launched the chef onto the international culinary stage. Chef Puck revisited his famous dish with an easy to follow recipe that you can use to recreate this epicurean delight for your family and guests. This is one caviar pairing that is certain to wow your guests this holiday season, and become a new family tradition!
3 to 4 ounces smoked salmon
Pizza Dough,(recipe available online)
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 medium red onion, cut into julienne strips
1/4 bunch fresh dill, minced, plus 4 small sprigs, for garnish
1/3 cup sour cream or crème fraiche
Freshly ground pepper
4 heaping tablespoons domestic white sturgeon caviar
1 heaping teaspoon black caviar
* Before you are ready to bake the pizzas, preheat the oven with a pizza stone inside for 30 minutes to 500 degrees F.
1. Cut the salmon into paper-thin slices. Reserve.
2. Roll or stretch the dough into 4 (8-inch) circles. Place the pizzas on a lightly floured wooden peel. Brush the center of each pizza to within 1 inch of the edge with olive oil and sprinkle it with some of the red onion. Slide the pizza onto the stone and bake 8 to 12 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Remember that the oven is very hot and be careful as you place the pizza into and out of the oven.
3. Mix the dill with the sour cream or crème fraiche and freshly ground pepper, to taste. Transfer the pizzas to heated dinner plates and spread them with the sour cream mixture.
4. Divide the salmon, and arrange decoratively over the cream. Place a spoonful of golden caviar in the center of each pizza, then spoon a little of the black caviar into the center of the golden caviar.
Yield: 4 (8-inch) pizzas
Discover more caviar pairings and other caviar serving suggestions when you visit our caviar online store at Caviarlover.com. We feature the freshest caviar and other specialty foods such as foie gras, truffles, and a variety of gourmet gift baskets among others. Also, learn more about caviar discounts, find delicious holiday recipe ideas and get serving and eating tips by joining our Caviar Lover Facebook page.